Tuesday, June 28, 2011

An actor's true frustrations

Nearly seven months ago, I made a decision that changed my life forever. I decided to leave the full time job and take a real crack at this crazy business. Before, I was getting work, but the jobs actually cost me a few gigs. I got tired of that and made the leap.

Do I regret this? Absolutely not. I may not have a lot of money right now(That comes from having a job that's 2-3 days a week, and very little other money coming in), but I'm good at keeping my money in check, so that's no big deal. I also have a lot more time to network and get myself out there, not to mention finishing up a script(I'll blog about that another time).

But I'd be lying if I didn't get a little frustrated. In one case, I've become a social networking butterfly. Not only do I friend a bunch of people, but I end up meeting them and even work with a few. I also have a tiny consolation of being in the top 100,000 in IMDB, even with two credits(Soon to be three, by the way. Look for Broken Benjamin really soon). But the competitor in me always wants more, and it's frustrating to not get calls from my agent, even when she works hard to put me out there. Makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me at times.

You know something, though? I just have to remember that this is all part of the process. Actors far more talented than me have gone through this too. We all have taken this leap into the great beyond, and few of us will survive the leap.

Either way, none of us regret said leap. We wouldn't want this any other way.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Jake...definitely something that I've been going through even though I came right out of theater school and have only every had survival jobs!!

    ReplyDelete